I know no one likes being ill.
But after being chronically ill and then recovering, things like colds and flu upset me a bit more than they should and a bit more than they used to.
Apart from the fact that being ill is just annoying in general and this cold has been dragging on for over a week, it's also really bugging me for these 4 reasons:
- I’m really busy at the moment both at work and at home, so not having the energy to get things done is setting me back quite a bit. I try not to stress about it because I know that doesn’t help, but it’s hard not to.
- The fact that it’s dragging on also brings back bad memories of my chronic illness. I know I need to rest at the moment and I try to give myself time to rest and recover but it’s hard not to be reminded of the most difficult days. It’s also hard to need to depend on others again.
- Running and training for the half marathon was really helping keep my mind off the difficult news which we received not too long ago and which I know I’m still processing. So not being able to run at all sucks because I’ve always loved running so much and it makes me feel really good and happy.
- And being ill just makes me feel low. And moody. And snappy. (Sorry Derm, sorry Ma, sorry anyone I might have snapped at lately).
And because of the way I’m feeling, I decided the best thing I can give you this week is a collection of 15 uplifting quotes which always cheer me up when I’m feeling down. So here goes:
1. “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.”
– Thich Nhat Hanh
2. “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
3. “No matter what our journey holds - hope gives us the strength to dream, to carry on and to evolve."
- Official Poster, IRONMAN World Championships, 2013
4. “And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.”
- J.K. Rowling
5. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”
- Dale Carnegie
6. “Most people are stronger than they know. They just forget to believe in it sometimes.”
- Keith Scott
7. "When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile."
8. “Once you choose hope, anything's possible.”
- Christopher Reeve
9. "When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
- Helen Keller
10. “I am strong, because I’ve been weak. I am fearless, because I’ve been afraid. I am wise, because I’ve been foolish.”
11. “The darkest night is often the bridge to the brightest tomorrow.”
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie
12. “All you have to do is to pay attention; lessons always arrive when you are ready, and if you can read the signs, you will learn everything you need to know in order to take the next step.”
- Paulo Coelho, The Zahir
13. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
- Vivian Greene
14. "We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another."
- Luciano De Crescenzo
15. “When the finish line seems too far away, remember how you felt when you were back at the starting line. Regain that motivation to recharge your momentum.”
- Toni Sorenson
Hope you enjoyed reading these quotes and hope they made you feel a bit better if you’ve been feeling slightly down lately. I know they always cheer me up.
And are there any quotes you love which I didn’t include in this post? Let me know – I’d love to hear more uplifting quotes :)